New Minpaku Law and recent Minpaku Ordinance

If you operate a guest house business, lodge business, hotel business, or an AirBnB business, there are two options to comply with recent regulations.

  1. You obtain Hotel Inn License based on Hotel Business law.
  2. Or you register your real estate based on the New Minpaku Law (Date of enforcement is 15th, June, 2018)

A new Minpaku Law was adopted by the Japanese government, although each ward can stipulate its own ordinance (Jourei) to enforce this law.

Here I would like to explain the ordinance stipulated by Shibuya ward.

You (Minpaku Business Operator = a person who rents out real estate to guests, tourists etc.) must prepare emergency food and drinks in your Hotel (where your guest stays).

To follow the New Minpaku law, you also need to inform neighboring apartment tenants of your operation, seven days prior to registration.

You can NOT operate your New Minpaku Hotel Business in exclusive residential zone nor in a school zone. (Other than duration of summer vacation, winter vacation, spring vacation)

This regulation however does not apply to cases where you operate your New Minpaku Hotel Business within 100 meters from your residence or Minpaku administrator company and you or your Minpaku administrator company are members of the local neighborhood association.

In the case of zoning other than residential or school zones, there is not such regulation. So you can operate your New Minpaku Hotel Business all year around.

You can read the full article here:


As a Shiho-shoshi lawyer (=司法書士, Similar to solicitor)in Japan, I have assisted non Japanese speakers to purchase or sale or rent real estate in Japan. Or in the case Non Japanese speakers hoping to start a business in Japan, I can provide necessary assistance including incorporation of a company. I believe if you hire me as Shiho-shoshi lawyer, you can solve many problems getting started in business, in Japan.